Red White & Blue Hens

College students in Delaware who think right is right, and left is wrong. We study hard, party hard, and play hardball.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Experiences from Iraq 2

Apparently everything is slowing down in the area. My brother's unit isn't really busy, which I can only assume is a very good thing for the medical profession. I'm guessing work will start to pick up with the upcoming "Operation Lightning." Matt (my brother) said that he's been enjoying some video games and fitness center while on crew rest (nothing to do).

The other day he experienced his first "camel spider." I had never heard of them, but apparently they're large spiders that latch onto the underside of a camel, hence the name. I'm rather glad I've never heard of them nor experienced them. At night his unit is able to sit on the roof top of their hospital and watch the fighters and UAVs (Predators, Global Hawk) take off from the flight line. He's sent some pretty cool pictures of F-16s landing.

Because of the varying hours of work and down time, Matt's sleep schedule is constantly rotating. He said that the other morning he woke up to an earth shattering explosion right outside of his bunk. Apparently, the UXO (Unexploded Ordinance) site, where they dispose of malfunctioning explosives and mortars found, is right outside of where he's staying. He instantly lept under the bed and changed into full kevlar, luckily it was just UXO. If it had been real it would have been followed by an alarm.

I'm sure I'll hear more from him soon and get some more pictures, however, I'm hoping he stays as bored as possible. That means less wounded marines and American soldiers. Below is the most recent shot he sent me, hes on the right hand side.

Matt's Crew
F-16 Landing

4 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger M. McKain said…

    For the curious, here is a pic of two camel spiders. They make tarantulas look cute and cuddly.

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp#photo

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger spence0422 said…

    Haha, Matt always has the same pose in his pics. Wish him luck for me

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger GrantGuy05 said…

    Haha...yea his face pretty much stays the same, however, apparently he's recently shaved his head because of the heat. Should be interesting haha. I'll send him your best, and tell him you called him names as always.

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Ryan S. said…

    I always love hearing positive stories from Iraq. Keep Sharing 'em!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home